Last month, my team and I had the opportunity to present at the Dallas Cloud Computing User Group. It was a fantastic presentation, led by our lead developer extraordinaire Trent (www.trentacular.com). The topic was centered around fusing Windows Azure and Windows Phone 7 and it was …. awesome. Here’s what we did:
- Created a WP7 application that connected to a simple little CRM system
- Said CRM system was built using SQL Azure (couple tables, a view and that’s about it)
- The SQL tables were then exposed (for ease of WP7 construction) via an Azure web role that exposed an updatable ODATA endpoint.
The application was very slick – we had it going in no time and we also had fun figuring out that the SQL Azure Labs ODATA endpoint wasn’t kidding when they said there were some ‘known’ limitations – namely, the ability to connect linked tables together in an ODATA query.
This month as it happens, the cloud computing group has requested us to present again. So, we’re cooking up a bit more Windows Phone 7 love for you guys and adding in the AppFabric to the mix:
- Create an ACL endpoint that allows us to facilitate identity from the phone to represent a user.
- Create a service bus endpoint to allow asynchronous transfers and listeners such that changes to the data store don’t require a refresh on the phone to show up.
We hope you’ll join us on Thursday at Microsoft in Dallas to see our newest little creation!